[APP] BetterBatteryStats adds #battery history back to #Gingerbread - #android

I wrote BetterBatteryStats because I was missing the great battery history that Spare Parts allowed to call on Froyo:
- Process stats with User and System CPU time
- *removed till issue #1 is fixed* Network Usage with bytes sent and received
- Wakelock stats (the most important one when it comes to battery drain)
- Other Usage stats: Awake, Screen On, Phone On, Wifi On, Wifi Running ratios



This app is still under development and may contain bugs. If you find one you can keep it  but I'd be happy if you could also report it to me.


BetterBatteryStats is calling the "batteryinfo" service of Android to retrieve data already lying there without generating overhead.

BetterBatteryStats is focussing and has been tested on Froyo, Gingerbread and Honeycomb (3.1, thanks to daveid) and the APK is set to run only on those versions only.

What are wakelocks and why should you care about them?
When it comes to Android the most discussed and commented topic that I know is battery drain / battery life. I'm a quite heavy user because I spend a lot of time on the train every day reading my mails, surfing and listening to music but still my phone is off for a long time during the day and while I accept the battery being drained while I use the phone I care about it draining slowly while "doing nothing".
And here's the point: my SGS2 drains about 2-10 mAh where it was up at 20-100 mAh before I started cleaning stuff up (readings were taken with "Battery Monitor Widget" after leaving the phone alone 1/2 hour).

Try it yourself

Thanks
to nobnut and brandall for their support, testing and constructive feedback in the early stages of the development

Download BetterBatteryStats v0.5.0

Changelog
- v0.5.0: Added "Other Usage" stats
- v0.4.0: Added preferences for default selection, removed Network Usage due to non resolved issue #1
Follow me on twitter to be notified of updates

Feature requests
[done in v0.5.0] [lexluthor] Add "other usage" from the Froyo stats
[thebeardedchild] the stat types "last" and "current" are not self explaining and should be renamed. Interesting would be a stat since powered up
[thebeardedchild] a graphical representation of the stats would be helpful
[f_padia] display the actual process/package name rather than the long name given? E.g. I see the highest wake lock on my phone is something called 'SyncManagerHandleSyncAlarm' but I have no idea what this is.

Known issues
[nobnut] Network stats do not show network usage for all apps/processes on Gingerbread (works on Froyo). Because of this issue this stat was removed till further notice

Litterature
Article from the Android PDK about Power Management: http://www.netmite.com/android/mydro...PowerWakeLocks

Other useful tools
The default battery usage (Gingerbread): Settings -> About Phone -> Battery Usage
The most interesting data is shown when clicking on the graph (bars below the graph). Unjustified "awake" times when display is off is an indicator for rogue apps doing stuff in the background when you think your phone is asleep
Battery Monitor Widget
Has a great stat on battery drain over time. I use this tool regularly after leaving my phone alone for 1/2 hour to check how the battery drain looks like against my benchmark of 2-10 mAh average (optimal for my SGS2).


Credit : chamonix

Comments

Popular Posts